I Like Ike, Now



I was driving down I-70 and saw a sign at Abiline, KS - Eisenhower Museum and Library. I camped two nights at the Covered wagon Inn. After passing the museum several times, I stopped. The young boy born in Texas was moved with his parents to Abilene, Kansas.

In my afternoon there I learned the  stars were aligned for General Ike then President Ike.

The young Ike tripped on the sideway in Abilene and dusted himself off and went home. Soon he had blood poisoning, his leg swoll up and the doctor said they would have to amputate.

Before he went into a coma, the young general gave his first command - this time  to his brother, later thousands, “Do not let the doctors in not matter what!”

His brother slept at the door for four days and did not let the doctors come in. If not the doctor would have cut off his leg and no military career.

Mother finally said whatever is God’s will. Of course he lived. 

When a junior in high school the funds were cut off for athletics. He loved his football and baseball. Ike  took charge and found sponsors, and the athletic program was reinstated. 

Here he encourages the paratroopers D-Day eve - maybe he had the same look to his brother and to the athletic sponsors.


That was his junior year; the same year they got indoor plumbing. Before the bathroom the Grandfather had his room there. When he moved they made it both a bedroom and bathroom.

Home Sweet Home



For some reason that I will research his Presidential Library when I get permission, he delivered ice for two years after graduation. One of the customers was at the Stetson House now called on of the Seven Wonders of Kansas. Perhaps his two gap years were to get his leg stronger so he could get an appointment to the Naval Academy. By the time he got is appointment he was just over 20. The Naval Academy would not accept plebes over 20.  Another star aligned. In 1911, the left the train station for West Point.



His calvary officer told him he would do dismount drills. That is when the rider at full speed dismounts and remounts. Ike said he could not because of his leg. The officer said yes you will, Ike took the order and landed on his bad leg so much his football career ended but not his military one. Another star aligned.

You know the rest of the story. 

The grounds are 22 acres where homes were bought in the middle of town and relocated. There is a Visitors Center and Museum and Eisenhower Home on the right, Presidential Library on the left, and a humble plain structure named a place of prayer and meditation. 



Since I do both I was in to see just what it was. Inside the brown windows outside became beautiful colored glass and there before me were the marble covered graves of Dwight and Maggie with there son who died of Scarlet Fever at around 3 between them. Three of his most famous quotes from speeches were etched in marble and his presidential prayer was on a banner over my head.  I learned he  designed his burial place of meditation in 1966 lovely and had his son who died as an infant brought to Abilene to be buried between him and his wife.  He died in 1969. His body lain at state in the train from which he left for West Point. 

*. *. *

Sharolyn at old train station converted to a visitors center for Abilene was very hospitable. In fact of was driving off when she came back from the post office and asked if I would like to see inside. She grew up in a small town in Chapman just East of Abilene and talked her husband in another part of Kansas to move back here.

She had on Reba McIntire Jeans. “If I would have known you would like them, I would have brought my favorite ones with embroidery all over.”



Since my new passion for ranching was in my bones, I told her about seeing all the cows along the way but no ranchers except one time when I saw three ranchers of horseback. She immediately explained,“They are not seeing after themselves; they just have not been brought our of summer pasture. Then they will have to be fed everyday.”

When I told her about the one calf birth I witnessed as a pastor. She had a defense for the rancher - clearly ranching is not only in her bones but her blood. I saw my parishioner reach into the cow and tie a chain around the calf’s legs. The chain was tied to the truck and they drove ahead and pulled the calf out.

“If they had not done that both the mother and calf would have died.” Guess so.

And I bought the Drover Boot Store shirt and left. It was called that because cattle drivers are called Drovers - go figure the English.  I later got a drover cowboy hat - see Home on the Range post.

I ended up the pokey for a bit but made bail.






Comments

Popular Posts