1972

I actually met another Democrat who gave me this bumper sticker.




Read the quotes

When I went to college the November of my freshman year, 1972, I was to vote in my first election. I read several magazine articles and newspapers and made my decision to vote for Richard Nixon. That ended up being a big mistake. It was the only time I have voted Republican in an election. Of course, he ran against George McGovern. One of my best buddies and another friend were the only two McGovern supporters on our hour and got a lot of grief (though not from me - belief it or not I was timid back then).

My buddy, Billy, is still proud of the voting stand he took 50 years ago, and I just ask for forgiveness.

I had forgotten about McGovern being from South Dakota.  While talking another longtime friend, Joe, I saw a sign for the George McGovern Museum.  I pulled over and told Joe I would get back with him.

After some inquiries in Mitchell, SD, I found out the McGovern library housed the museum. 

Much of the stunning library, dedicated in 2006, was constructed with the Sioux Quartzite that I saw at Sioux Falls. The museum was small but very well done, and it was great to talk a walk back in time through pictures, words, videos and props. Three things really struck me - one was his humble beginning as a Methodist preacher's kid. 

Two, his willingness to take risks. 

After winning a national debate competition with 47 schools competing, he left his schooling and girlfriend behind and enlisted in the Air Force and flew 35 combat missions. McGovern received the flying cross for landing a "wounded" plane. Maybe we should have listened to this combat hero when he later opposed the Vietnam war and said it was unwinnable. He told the truth to power and paid the price; he did not win a single state including his own. 

His father married he and his wife on leave When he returned, he completed his degree at Dakota Wesleyan whose campus embraces the library and while working on his doctorate from Northwestern in     he received a history professor position at his alma mater. When the Democrats in South Dakota needed someone to do field work, he resigned his professorship to serve as the door to door man across the state.  The 40,000 index cards with names and details of South Dakota Democrats. His work netted 24 seats when only 2 were held before he began. 


After running for congressman, he and his wife and five children moved to Washington. Later he ran for the Senate and lost. John F. Kennedy snapped him up as the first Food for Peace Director. 



Both Kennedy's campaigned for McGovern and John said after his loss, "We just cost George the election." McGovern loved work with agriculture since that was his background in his home state. He won the second time around and later was nominated to run for President. 


Here are a couple politicians that were at the dedication of the library in 2006 (it would good to see bipartisanship again!) :





Comments

Popular Posts