Coffee Brings Old and New Friends Together

 


After having coffee one time before lunch and another with breakfast the next day at the One Stop Cafe, I discovered the Grind on the brick streets of downtown and the delightful almost 30 owner, Brittany.  She was nice enough to post my blog on her coffee newsletter - thanks, Brittany.

At the One Stop I met Jessica, 22, and lifer in Falls City. She became a new friend who graduated from the  local high school and went to college for two years and decided that was not her major and works everyday at the diner from 6- 1:30.  She puts up with the jabs of the regulars, farmers retired or almost. She holds her own, I must say.  I made a joke about the huge tips and she said, “Actually I get good ones.” No surprise. 

Another gray haired waitress was interested in my journey and bid on a house in Independence.  It reminded her of her aunt who would come into a new town and ask if a house was for sale.  If they said yes, she bought it.  Apparently she did this over and over again.  I asked if she was single 

 “No she was married with eight kids!”


One Stop Cafe - serves great breakfast and lunches


When I went back to the hotel - my first night out of the tent since September 10, I tried to work on my blog but the Wi-Fi was iffy. (When I told Jessica at the One Stop that it was a overpriced cheap hotel, she corrected my ingratitude - but you got a hot shower and warm bed I bet.)  I gave up and went toward the library but spotted the Grind along the way.

My blogging is not a grind at the Grind


The Grind - to the left is a door to the gym




Brittany and her husband just bought a beautiful white three story with a wrap around porch in town about a month ago.



  He has already gutted the kitchen as a part of their renovation. She says they love it.  Obviously they are full of energy and dreams at almost 30.  Brittany bought the coffee shop and adjoining gym in February and from all the gym and coffee customers that came in while I sipped my latter, business is booming.


One of the customers who told me where to get a shirt like hers (Merz Tractor and Supplies) was a miracle.  I noticed she had a slightly raspy voice. This was a result of the breathing tube during her four month coma. After being in town only day, it was no surprise that the town rallied her back to health.


In full support of my journey - “you only have one life!”, Brittany said she and her husband hoped to get an RV after the kids are grown and travel the country. As things are gong, I hope they achieve their dream.


After searching all over the country for Buffalo, Jess said there were some just a mile east. Sure enough they were across from the bus barn.  It was sad to see them in stalls like cattle ready for market.








Along the way I stopped at the high school and was impressed with the stone wall surrounded football stadium.  Notre Dame’s stadium came to kind. In 1994 my family and mom traveled there, and we drove around looking for the stadium until we realized it was the stone wall structure we had been circumnavigating. 










When I got to the T-shirt place, Jess seemed like she followed me but was there to pick a sweatshirt.  The owner, shirt printer and golfer helped pick out me the perfect Nebraska design and cooler. See me at the top.  And as a bonus Trooper and I got to meet Ollie (F1B Aussiedoodle - 3/4 Standard Poodle and 1/4 Australian Shepard)






There are a lot of good people in Falls City, and they all seem to know each other!

Comments

Popular Posts