Hearty Hardy

(Pictures coming soon)

When I got nudge from the Spirit of the Universe to go to Hardy for my next camp experience, I was very surprised. However, I listened and followed and landed at the local coffee shop at 6:15 am in the morning.  After a second morning there, I realized I was sipping coffee with the shakers and movers, maybe even the political machine, in a town of about 780 depending on which side of town you entered. The Mayor was there with his baseball work hat on, the guy who ran the tire shop, the guy who ran the barbecue restaurant and others who worked for the police, and the wheeler dealer former all state basketball and football player.  It was like the 60ish club.  

 

I listened and kept my mouth shut except when I queried about the town.  The wheeler dealer said he a deal on land and he took me there right out of town near a big lake and a smaller one. Only 5k but when I looked at it, it was only 70ish wide by 180ish long and full of trees of all sizes and the property on each side.  I was through them the next day and got lost and lost interest.

I ate barbecue for lunch and it was fabulous and the cole slaw. The owner told me his secret a little sugar and mayonnaise.

Later I got my leaky tire repaired that my dealership back home said was alright before I left. And in the process there was bulge on the other front tire with a crack so I ordered a new tire and had it fixed a few days later when it arrived.

 

I saw the mayor again working on the bridge over the Spring River in front of my camp site.  When I came to Hardy the river and the train followed me – I was sandwiched between.  The third time I saw him was the charm.  The second night I was in camp when I was the only one – a grandmother, aunt, father and about six year old son arrived and looked the Clampett family on Beverly Hills. They had their stuff piled high in the back of their pick up and sleep on small air mattresses under a canopy covered on each side by bed sheets.  Oh boy, I thought, but they ended up great, quiet neighbors – beware of first impressions.

 

The first impression idea was confirmed again the next night. A spik and span mobile home longer than my two bedroom apartment pulled up pulling a nice sedan with a kayak on top.  Across the way from it pulled up a smaller RV with a mini-cooper pulled behind also with a kayak on top.  The big one belonged to mom and dad and the smaller to the daughter.  I knew the big brown one was new because the old man got out and first thing started washing his huge front window and bumper and the front chrome side of his massive mirrors.  

 Trooper and I went over and introduced ourselves he and his wife had sold his home in Alabama and were just beginning their travel on the road for two years. I went to sleep early as usual about 9 and was awakened by screaming and yelling - “Don’t do it Gary, the old man’s name!” This went on for a long time and I was ready to call the police and a car pulled up which I thought was the cops and everything calmed down.

The next morning I saw him out and I told him the walls of my tent were thin.  I said their is help if someone wants to stop drinking.  He said he would pass my number on to his daughter’s ex boyfriend who swung at him last night.  It was not a police car but something they called to take him away since the daughter did not want to press charges. He said he was nursing a hangover - you think?  At four in the afternoon when I went over his glass of whisky was dark which meant almost straight. By after 9 with steady drinking no wonder there was yelling and punching.  It is not my call but maybe he needs help too.

The next morning the mayor and campground director showed up looking at his massive windshield that he claimed was hit by a rock the previous day by the riding mower.  I said I saw him washing the window and pulling out the windshield when he first arrived.  The crack was behind the windshield pivot so who knows.  All I know is the mayor kicked him and his daughter out and redlined them for the future.  Not a good start for his two year road journey.

I loved Hardy at first sight and started looking for land.  My new buddy who is also named John that I met at a meeting asked me out to his place once for a fire and boat ride and again for supper and ping pong.  My game was a little rusty after decades of inactivity but there were moments of greatness although few. He had fifteen acres and a nice, I think, three bedroom house with windows that looked over the lake.  Several years ago he paid 250,000 not telling what it is worth now.  No matter he is great new friend.

My first Wednesday there of a week stay I went to the First United Methodist Church up the hill and they were making apple cider and several were cutting apples by hand and others were crunching. One guy that I talked to retired from the railroad after 42 years and settled with his wife in Hardy. I asked if his wife was the woman behind me - no he is the one picking up cut apples for the kitchen.  Thank God for diversity in a town, like many others, who posted a sign at the city entrance for dark skin individuals - do not let the sun set on you in town. 

The service was very warm and the female pastor, a retired teacher, delivered a solid sermon.  A guy with a mike and electric piano did most of the songs - most non-hymnal upbeat songs and I was not sure what he did to the harmony of the traditional hymns. All in all I felt like I had been to church in the country. I heard the apple cider report - 356 jars had been sold for I think 2300. They sold out in two days. They had a few left. I bought one and mailed it to my Sunday School Class - The Communicators who let me join by zoom - at Galloway United Methodist Church, Jackson, MS.

And last but should be first are the two great librarians. I promised I would not post their pictures and will honor that. I will not give their names either. I went their four times to work on my blog and find out about the history of the town and realtors, etc.  The main library used to be the home economics class of the high school and the basement was the cafeteria. A now addition housed the circulation desk and children’s section and computers for patrons.  You are in for a treat at the County Library in Hardy, Tell the wonderful ladies that Traveling John sent you.  


Comments

Popular Posts