Welcome to Waffle House

 




This morning I woke up and looked at my watch and it said 4:30. I turned on the burner for coffee did my prayers and stretches and then looked at my watch again - it was 2:30.  Oh well I did two meditations and drank some coffee that did not get very hot and enjoyed the stars for awhile.  Nothing was open in Independence, Kansas at now 4:30. I decided I wanted a Waffle House breakfast since they are open 24 hours.  I searched the internet and the closest was in Owasso, Ok about an hour and a half south.  

Yesterday I had considered going to Sioux, Falls today but the early bird rising ruled that out - a shape since it was four degrees cooler here than there.

I loaded up and stopped at the first gas about 30 minutes down a dark two lane in Caney, Kansas.  The clerk comped the excellent dark roast which was hot!  There a lot of Kansas angels unawares. As soon I entered the lady who smiled at me as I walked toward the door, greeted me with perkiness at 6:am.  The two egg breakfast was awesome as usual - two over light eggs, bacon, wheat toast and hash browns with tomatoes - my usual. (I ordered three pieces of bacon to go for Trooper - I know he is spoiled). Having worked at Waffle House about a month in retirement I have a real understanding of the servers who make $2.10 an hour.  

 Since both of us are people persons, I chatted with her a bit.  She has had an interesting journey, She was born in Saigon, Vietnam and at 14 months she was adopted my Colonel Heimsness and brought to Huntsville, Alabama on July 4, 1971 where she was raised. Early on she begin to work at Waffle House. As Jenny chuckled, she said she worked. her way up to Owasso, Oklahoma population 37,000.  Every job from server to manager to cook she had done, but prefers serving. Jenny who folks call the Crazy Asian, was a superstar of serving and called everyone by name when they entered and already knew their order. Maybe she will remember me and my order next time.  Believe this she has worked for 37 years in a row  at Waffle House with double shifts (1:00 am to noon). I love to be around people who love their work. The worst bosses are those who hate their jobs; they spew their unhappy misery to everyone down the chain. The crazy Asian would make a great boss!

Comments

Popular Posts