Some good people across South Dakota


I met this family - Caleb, Maria and Chase - in the breakfast room at the hotel in Sioux Falls.  They left Searcy, Arkansas to see her grandmother on Maria’s 22nd birthday in North Dakota. They share how they would like to live their dream like I am doing one day. As they left Caleb said he envied my no schedule life - “I have to be back Monday.” 



This burly guy is in shirtsleeves in 25 degree temperature with the wind blowing. He is a police consultant who has been in New Guinea for two years.  He rented the Harley to go across the country in three weeks while he is on holiday. I asked if he had electrics (gloves and jacket and pants, etc.). 

“No, what is the fun in that!’ He replied matter of factly. (I have ridden motorcycles in thirty degree weather and my hands froze after 30 minutes - I cannot image ridding for hours. - talk about having ice water in you blood!) 

Hear his Aussie accent:





This is Brian. I met him at the only coffe shop in miles west of the Badlands in a tiny town called Interior. I had been up since 4:30 and crawled out of my tent to 27 degree weather and had driven thirty miles one way to coffee earlier and had Vienna sausage and crackers and grapes for breakfast. It was good to see a friendly face just after daybreak. 

Brian is on a one month adventure from his home in Philadelphia to his buddies from college in San Diego and back. He rented a really nice van to sleep in along the way. He graduated from Emory-Riddle college at the Arizona campus in Prescott. Everyone mispronounced the city’s name so they nicknamed it Biscuit.
He transferred his freshman year from the Florida campus.

“Why”

It is easy the Florida campus went to multi engine craft and flight instruction went to 180/hour. At Prescott , it was 110.  For a 70 dollar savings for the 200 hours required it was worth the change. He retired from flying planes for the Justice Department and could not tell me who he transported. With his kids 8 and 12 he retired early to be with them while they grew up and “can go back to work when they graduate if necessary.”

NOT PICTURED

She did not want her picture taken - I always ask. She wrote down all her journeys on a napkin which I managed to promptly loose. She is about my age and single and like me left everything behind - in her case Alabama. Having finished her last day in her parttime at the Badlands, she is going to two other gigs at National Parks more south. She told me about a cool website for jobs like that - cool work.com.


ALSO NOT PICTURED

Don had cool goatee whiskers and sat by himself at the next table at McDonald's Rapid City. Neither of us was asked to join the regular group across from us so we talked. Don was a tall guy and looks like a former athlete. Six months out of the years he umps softball, baseball and soccer. Now he is the HUC - head ump in charge - and gets more money to schedule the umps. 

He has been in a bowling league with three other guys for over 25 years. Though they are 75; they still compete in the regular league NOT the senior league. He is now considering joining a gym. All of these are good possibilities for me -umping, especially the who for soccer  who raises the flag when the ball goes out of bounds, joining a bowling league and a gym.

I thought I had found a fellow Democrat when he said he voted Democrat all of his life. Then he said until Obamacare. I would never have retired if he had not ruined my life. "And I voted for him!"

According to him, when he reached 65 his employer said he could not longer get his 8.00 a week insurance. Obamacare required him to get only that.  Sure he said. They he found out it was over 2000 per month which is over two thirds of his salary. He had to retire. When I suggested surely there were other alternatives he said it is too late now and insists there were now.

Then he reflects and said if I had not retired I would not get to ump six months where I make more than when I was working and I had six months free. 

God does not make any mistakes.


 

Comments

Popular Posts